Gallery

Thursday, December 30, 2010

(Untitled) - Wood Sculpture



I didn’t have a plan going into the wood project. I did some preliminary sketches but they didn’t relate to what I eventually produced. I went with my feelings, and started cutting strips of wood. I tried to make interesting shapes, and ultimately just had fun without any vision in mind. When I had a good pile of strips, I played with the pieces, seeing how they related to each other; what looked nice and interesting. I wanted the piece to look natural and organic, so I decided not to use any screws or adhesives, and just stuck to peg and hole methods of holding the piece together. I sanded several of the pieces in order to reduce kinks, and make it look like each piece flowed into the next without any transitions.

What I ended up with was abstract, and had no real meaning or inspiration. It was a just go-with-my-feelings piece, but I was thinking of the way fish feed when I was constructing it, so maybe there was some subconscious contributions to the way the sculpture turned out. It does resemble some sort of tentacled mass, reminiscent of some abomination born out of Lovecraft’s mind, reaching up from the depths of the sea.

About Me

My photo
I am the creator of Lego stop-motion animation Shadow of the Brick, go watch it on my Youtube channel Green Dragon Films. I also play old games on the YouTube channel Matt's Gameplay. I also make art involving robots and other weird science themes. Fallow me on Twitter: @ControlAltRobot

Blog Archive